[PLUG] [OT] A Web Development Question

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Sun Oct 10 08:00:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 04:47:18PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I have a stylesheet (pagestyle.css) file that defines color and typeface
> for paragraphs, headings and attributes (such as bold). But, those styles
> are not displayed on the page.
>
>   Within the <head></head> tags I have:
>   <link href="pagestyle.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css />
>
> and this file contains:
>
> h1 {color: #669933; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif}
> h2 {color: #000066; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif}
> p {color: #006600; font-family: garamond, times, serif}
> b {color: #ff9900}

You can verify that you have valid css consturction from the W3C standards
folks at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/  I entered your css there and
you've got it right.

As Paul pointed out the href="pagestyle.css" link requires the CSS and HTML
be in the same directories.  This is probably what's biting you, as the
example you give works fine, see http://www.patch.com/rs-test.html

To prevent other problems
    type="text/css />
should be