[PLUG] [OT] A Web Development Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 10 09:04:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> You can verify that you have valid css consturction from the W3C standards
> folks at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ I entered your css there and
> you've got it right.

   Thanks, Mike. What I've tried to do is move it into a body class; not sure
I have it correct but I'll look again at the css tutorials I found on the
Web. I'm not getting the colors specified on the headings, but at least the
typeface style (serif/sans-serif) is now correct. My ORA book on HTML is the
3rd edition (1998); probably so far back from the bleeding edge it's fallen
off the back end.

> As Paul pointed out the href="pagestyle.css" link requires the CSS and
> HTML be in the same directories. This is probably what's biting you, as
> the example you give works fine, see http://www.patch.com/rs-test.html
>
> To prevent other problems
>    type="text/css />
> should be
>    type="text/css" />

   The files are all in the same directory. I added the closing
double-quotation mark and put semi-colons at the end of each line. That
seems to have done the trick. The dispaly color tweaking will come after I
redo the content. But, with guidance from, and thanks to, Kurt I now have a
better understanding of css and a set of rollover menus that look much nicer
than static links. And, now that the background color is showing up as
defined, it certainly is bright enough to catch the eye. :-)

   The complete revision of the content is on the schedule for today and
tomorrow (along with mowing the lawn and changing the oil in my little
truck). Many thanks to all!

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)