[PLUG] "Run as"

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Wed Oct 13 13:46:02 UTC 2004

Scott Van Hoosen <svanhoosen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was a bit frustrated yesterday, as I am running a print server on Red
> Hat 9 and had to kill a print-job-gone-bonkers that my son had started.
> I was of course not logged in as root. When running Print Manager, I
> could see the job, but didn't have permission to cancel the job. I
> finally had to log out and then log in as root to use this graphical
> tool to kill the job, as I didn't know how to do it from command line.

Others have answered your main question, so ...

To check on print jobs from the command line, use lpq.
To kill print jobs from the command line, use lprm.
This may be dependent on the printing system you are using.

tinman:~$ lp -d laserjet testfile
request id is laserjet-411 (1 file(s))
tinman:~$ lpq
laserjet is ready and printing
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
active  galens  411     testfile                        2048 bytes
tinman:~$ lprm 411
tinman:~$ lpq
laserjet is ready
no entries