[PLUG] Firefox Setup -- Again -- PDF files

Alice Corbin ali at axian.com
Thu Oct 14 10:07:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 08:37:27AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Somehow firefox-0.9.3 has lost the settings for pdf files. When I try to
> download (or view) a pdf file the dialog box pops up but the "OK" button is
> greyed out and there are no defaults for viewing (xpdf) or downloading.
> Sigh.
>
>   I've just looked in about:config and there is no string "pdf" to be found.
> Will someone please tell me again where to set this? It's frustrating that
> it keeps getting lost.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich
>
> --
For me, it seems to be the following line in /etc/mime.types, which is
firefox's helper.global_mime_types_file:

  application/pdf                 pdf

I don't pretend to understand the magic that translates this into the
default of 'ggv' that ends up in my dialog box.

But... my dialog box also has an 'Other..' entry.  If I chose that and
navigate to /usr/bin/xpdf, I can use that instead of the default.  And
the next time I click on a pdf file that comes up as the highlighted
choice.

Now what happened here?  Ah, firefox seems to have added an entry to my
.mozilla/firefox/default.randomnumber/mimeTypes.rdf file.

Ali