[PLUG] Which POP3 server?

Mark Turner amerine at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 14:52:01 UTC 2004

POP3 vs IMAP

One of the major diffrenced between the two is how mail is stored.
POP3 downloads the mail to your local system for viewing and IMAP
keeps the mail on the server.

POP3 is used more often by ISP's because it needs less maintenance,
fewer headaches, and no need to worry about mailbox storage.

With IMAP you can provide all sorts of added services like :
centralized management, remote access to mail, web access to saved
mail, mailbox backups, client roaming etc etc. IMAP also allows you to
have multiple folder on the mail server but POP3 only allows one.

I would reccomend a IMAP server for a small business just because they
can share folders and organized thier mail better.

-Mark