[PLUG] Installing Linux on an old PowerPC

Michael H. Collins mike at linuxlink.com
Fri Oct 15 15:39:01 UTC 2004

Brian Benson wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:31:06 -0500, Michael H. Collins
> <mike at linuxlink.com> wrote:
>
>>you need to leave some apple on there.  (minimal install) then put a
>>bootloader then install.  I have put gentoo on 20 or thirty of these old
>>world machines.
>

> What did you do with them after you put linux on them?

Used them running ices to send streaming .ogg files from the club venues
  during South By Southwest Music festival. We would send the streams to
a big g4 icecast server.  They would then be fed from there.

We (actually myself and the sxsw webmaster) have done it for two years
and kinda hoped to have video ready for this year but it looks kinda
farther away.

Why apples?  Because Schlotskys lent us the boxes and that is what they
were.

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/16/0414225&tid=193

more info down this path^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^