[PLUG] Capture audio feeds (?)

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Fri Oct 15 15:46:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Russ Johnson wrote:

> What have you tried?

Mostly a few quick thing I picked up but without any heavy research.  I
did try the man pages for mplayer but it appears I missed the -dumpstream
reference.  I also tried xmms URL t osee if I could even just hear the
feed.
   I was also fighting a nForce sound card (onboard) issue so between my
frustration with that (ended up installing a "real" sound card) and some
other issues I mostly gave up.  I was thinking someone might say "yes I
did it with xyz player and used this commandline".  Then I could go home
for the weekend and have more fun figuring out why I couldn't install xyz
or it wouldn't recognize my sound card, or the station would go off line
right in the middle of a test.
   Better to know I have an anvil in my hands that may fall on my foot
then to have to find the anvil myself before dropping it.  Call me lazy
but I was hoping for only one kind of pain.

Also my other attempts were a few weeks, of work-hell, ago.  I'm getting
most of this Saturday to myself (wife, daughter, and grandkids are
visiting great-grands) so wanted to get the most out of it.  :-)

> I searched google for "save realaudio stream linux" and found the
> following on
> http://all-streaming-media.com/record-video-stream/record-streaming-video-windows-media-and-real-video.htm

Hey!  I didn't try realaudio in my searches!  Could explain the bad
returns I got.

> I have tried any of this. But is looks like it should work.

CYA eh?  Famous last word -- should.  We have a saying at work.  'Should'
is never used in the same sentence, paragraph, or conversation that
involves computers.

Thanks though. They do look good and not like anything I'd tried already.

Have a great week-end (I'm planning to),
Rod