[PLUG] A server for PLUG

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Oct 15 18:01:02 UTC 2004

If there is nobody willing to take on the task of personally hosting
pdxlinux.com, I have some suggestions, and I could contribute some
effort and a bit of the money to make them happen.

keithl.com and my 4 other domains are currently being hosted with a
virtual colo at www.vcolo.com , Mike and Erik's company.  DNS for my
sites is handled by www.dyndns.org .  With Brian Martin's able assistance,
I have the virtual machine connected to my internal network over a VPN
tunnel, and I back the machine up every night, with Dirvish, of course.

A similar setup would work for PLUG.   Dyndns and Vcolo are not free;
they might cost us $300 per year.  We could pay for them with a
"stupid comment or question" tax at Advanced Topics;  at a buck per
penalty, we could pay for the server AND buy the speaker drinks, with
money left over. :-)

While I would prefer to see the PLUG site taken care of for free by
some organization like Naked Ape, it would be nice to distribute
control to three or four of us, and Wil's security may not permit
that.  We could back the virtual machine up to two or three remote
sites, and with a simple dyndns address change, we could move the
site to a new IP address very quickly if needed.

I would like Dave Mandel to keep owning the PLUG "brand", of course,
and he should retain executive control over who gets access to the
dyndns account.  But others should be doing the day to day management,
so Dave can concentrate on "the vision thing", and do all the other
myriad things he does for us.

Keith