[PLUG] EWRT workshop was fun

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Oct 16 22:13:01 UTC 2004

Today (saturday October 16) the Personal Telco Project had a EWRT
hack day.  The EWRT project takes a linux-based Linksys WRT54G
router and modifies the firmware;  in this case, adding a nocat
splash page and local content web pages.  Brandon Psmythe of
Portless Networks talked about this project at Advanced Topics in July.

In any case, today we had about 20 people merrily crosscompiling and
have announced the meeting to PLUG, but we were pretty full and it was
Linux Clinic day besides.  However, it might be a worthwhile thing to
do in a separate room at a future Linux Clinic;  especially if we could
prepare some fast local server space to store the working environment
for people to grab.

Note, right now we are working with the $60 WRT54G devices, not the
more-expensive WRT54GS speedboost devices.  The latter will probably
be supported someday (or now, if you want to do the port) but are not
the right thing to buy for now.

So, we had fun with our little $60 Linux boxes.  Plan on more fun
in the future.

Keith