[PLUG] BIND slow to restart- sometimes

Steven Raymond stever at woo-hoo.com
Mon Oct 18 12:19:02 UTC 2004

Running 9.2.1 at home hosting a few domains and reverse dns for two
netblocks.  Dunno for sure if it was just coincidence or not, but when
adding the zone files for the latest domain, BIND started sometimes taking
literally a few minutes to start working again after a restart (or even a
system reboot).
Subsequent restarts of named will usually go off without a hitch, ready in
just a second or less.  It never fails to start, but sometimes just takes
a few minutes to load all the zone files.
Any idea what would cause this slowness?
<http://sparky.woo-hoo.com/badbind.txt>
The log excerpt above shows two manual named restarts.  The first one
starting at 11:13:53 was over by 11:13:55 (meaning all the zone files were
loaded and name resolution was responsive).
The next reload, at 11:14:10, did not finish until 11:16:46, a good 2.5
minutes or so later.  No change in the zone files, nothing, just a
"service named restart" and the results shown.  "top" reported no excess
CPU utilization during the reload and name resolution on that server
resulted in only timeouts throughout.
The slow restart does not happen all the time (I can never "make" it
happen), apparently just at random, and sometimes during bootup.  When
that happens the startup is especially slow as any services relying DNS
get bogged down.
Could it be a problem with my zone file(s)?  If the zones were hosed up,
wouldn't it be slow all the time?  FWIW, I have never noticed the slow
restarts after removing the suspect problem zones' reference from
named.conf (but have not tested enough to be sure).  Here are the zones:
<http://sparky.woo-hoo.com/badzone.txt>
Thanks for any advice on fixing this problem.

--
"But thinking is always sooo difficult....."
    Winnie The Pooh