[PLUG] short read while reading block 516

Dirk Ouellette hapibeli at comcast.net
Thu Oct 21 12:39:26 UTC 2004

I have a nasty problem. I'm writing this on my Win 2000 harddrive
because my Fedora Core I drive won't let me in. My error message is;
/: clean, ##/#### files, ###/#### blocks
/boot: clean, ##/###### files, #####/###### blocks
/data1: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while reading block 516

/data1: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while reading
journal superblock

fsk.ext3: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while checking ext3 journal for /data1

/data2: clean, blah, blah,blah
/data3: clean, blah, blah,blah
etc., etc., etc,. through all of disk and then

An error occured during the filesystem check.
Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
[ or type Control-D to continue ]

If I ^-D I just repeat this scenario, but if I give my psswd, I get;

Repair filesystem1:
[ to which I type ] fsck -y /dev/hda1/data1

and after a few moments of harddrive action I'm rewarded with;

Repair filesystem2:

And on and on. I've gone up to Filesystem 65, and began to wonder what
good I'm actually doing. /data1 at block 516 is my obvious problem Can
someone tell me how to resolve this mess? If nothing else, should I
upgrade with a CD version of Fedora Core II or another distro so I can
save my data on the harddrive and then buy a new drive? This same thing
happened to my wife's drive about one year ago and after getting her
drive to work about 5 times, I gave up and tried Win 2000 on her drive
and it has worked perfectly for her ever since. Could it be Fedora
rather than the drive?