[PLUG] Capture audio feeds (?)

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Thu Oct 21 15:51:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Russ Johnson wrote:

> I took your URL above and used the following command line:
>
> mplayer -dumpstream http://dj.argia.net:8000/kpbx
>
> It's dumping as I type to the file ~/stream.dump

Hey I worked for me also.  I don't know what I was doing before.
Probably a brain-fart.  I even got weird and tried wget on the URL.  It
worked also.

> I press CTRL-c to stop the dump, rename the file to stream.ra.

A problem for sure and when using wget also.  How do I record a one hour
program in the middle of the day each week-day.  Streamripper has a -l
(length) switch but mplayer doesn't and I still have to look at the man
page for wget to see if there is a time/size limit switch/option.

   So the options appear to be hack the mplayer code and add a limiting
switch which is well beyond my capabilities.  Or find/write a simple
program/script/whatever to kill the process after a length of time.

    Before I do this does anyone know, off the top of their head, if such
functionality already exists?

Cheers,
Rod