[PLUG] X11 to remote client

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Thu Oct 21 21:52:36 UTC 2004

Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys!  I thought that was what you are *supposed* to do.
> But ... while the -X option does eliminate the need for the
> "xhost +ssh-server" command (yay!), I am still having the same problem:
>
> ssh-client> ssh -X ssh-server
> Last login: Thu Oct 21 13:49:19 2004 from ...
>
> ssh-server> x-application
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> X connection to localhost:13.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>
> ssh-server>
>
>      ( ssh-server=X-client , ssh-client=X-server, but you knew that ... )
>

> If I do:
>
> ssh-server>export DISPLAY=ssh-client:0.0
>
> ... then things work.
>

> Perhaps I need to put something special in my .bashrc on ssh-server to
> set the DISPLAY, or perhaps ssh at the ssh-client end is sending the
> wrong information to set up the environment on ssh-server.  I do have
> "ForwardX11 yes" set in /etc/ssh/ssh_config on both client and server,
> and I do not have a personal version of that file in ~/.ssh on either
> end.  I have ssh keys in all the appropriate places.  When the error
> occurs, nothing appears in the logs for client or server.
>
> Does this narrow the problem and solution down enough?

Is the xauth command available on the remote system?  I'm fairly certain
that it is required for X11 forwarding to work.  There is an
XAuthLocation keyword in the ssh_config man page.  Perhaps xauth is
unavailable on your remote system for some reason.

galen

ps  I didn't mean to sound condescending when describing the X11 remote/
local stuff.  I suspected you already knew about it.