[PLUG] X11 to remote client

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Oct 21 21:56:16 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> writes:

Keith> Perhaps I need to put something special in my .bashrc on
Keith> ssh-server to set the DISPLAY, or perhaps ssh at the ssh-client
Keith> end is sending the wrong information to set up the environment
Keith> on ssh-server.  I do have "ForwardX11 yes" set in
Keith> /etc/ssh/ssh_config on both client and server, and I do not
Keith> have a personal version of that file in ~/.ssh on either end.
Keith> I have ssh keys in all the appropriate places.  When the error
Keith> occurs, nothing appears in the logs for client or server.

Keith> Does this narrow the problem and solution down enough?

The server and client both have to agree to forward X.  Check
/etc/ssh/sshd_config on the server:

  X11Forwarding yes
  X11DisplayOffset 10

You shouldn't have to do anything with DISPLAY.

Make sure there is an xauth on the server.

Debugging this can make your head hurt, but it is possible.  If you
are still having trouble, run a sshd in debugging mode on the remote host:

 # sshd -d -p <port>

and run ssh in verbose mode on the local host:

 $ ssh -v -X -p <port> <remote-host> xclock

and look closely at the respective messages until you figure it out.

seniorr at aracnet.com