[PLUG] [OT] html flavors

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Sun Oct 24 18:55:05 UTC 2004

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I understand html, dhtml and xhtml. What, specifically, does the 's'
> prefix mean in shtml? A google search attempt failed ("Do you mean html?").

Sometimes an answer is closer than you think:

  [root at tire mailman]# grep shtml /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
  DirectoryIndex index.html index.cgi index.shtml index.html.var
  AddIcon /icons/layout.gif .html .shtml .htm .pdf
  # To parse .shtml files for server-side includes (SSI):
  AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml
  [root at tire mailman]#

The convention is that file with the extention .shtml should be parsed
by the web server for server-side includes.

And remember . . .
   grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines

--
    Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
  Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity