[PLUG] HP Netserver Conversion

techmage at aracnet.com techmage at aracnet.com
Sun Oct 24 19:42:53 UTC 2004

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:15:37 -0700, you wrote:

>Great... you want to have a portable commodore look-alike...  ;)
>
>Wackie Willy's is your friend!!!
>(At least I seem to spend time finding odds and ends there...)
>
>Hey if you could dredge up some drives that would work with this thing it
>would be great. It's interesting to know that who ever had this machine in
>the past didn't use the SCSI for RAID, they just used them as independent
>drives!!?!!
>
>For those wondering it still has EISA capability... and PCI...
>
>Personally, I just need a quiet server... that has RAID enabled...
>
>So I can set-up a web-server and Mail-Server...
>
>Piet

Which model is it exactly?
What is the BIOS running on it?
I have an LS4 that's been tweaked, although it has a dead drive right
now and I'm awaiting sufficient funds to replace all of them with some
9gb drives.
I've found that SUSE 7.2 will install as will Redhat 7.2, however
nothing newer seem to want to install.
Not having enough free funds to experiment, it's taken a back burner
position in projects.
I did have it set up doing dns and nfs for my network. Seriously
lacking in Video and that was my "future" experiment that never seemed
to get time or funds.

As for parts:
Ebay
and there is/was a place mentioned here on plug that had access to the
sca drives at a reasonable price.

Good luck, and I'd be interested in hearing what happens as you
experiment.

Harry
"A vote for Bush is a vote for Osama"
Daniel Elsberg