[PLUG] MAC Address Ban/lookup

Steven D. Coffman s.coffman at tradetrans.net
Mon Oct 25 20:07:24 UTC 2004

I am involved in a gaming tourney that we have some problems with
"hackers" that have been banned, continue to get their way in -
Specifics: Half-Life Day-of-Defeat servers using the Steam_ID
server/client. When we get guys using wall hacks and such, we try to ban
them from our gaming servers. At the moment we ban by Steam_ID which is
resolved when they get into the server. The problem with this solution,
all they need to do is buy a cheap copy of DoD or Counter-Strike, reload
and get a new Steam_ID account.
We can't really ban by IP address as too many people (btw, this is an
international tourney), can obtain the same ISP number when using Cable.

So, my thoughts... Is there a way we can obtain the MAC address when
they log on to our server? I know if we can, I'm sure we can write a
script to ban that address if it's on our list.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Steve

Steven D. Coffman
Director
Electronic Commerce & Business Intelligence
TradeTrans, Inc. - Intelligent Electronic Commerce

Phone:     (503) 601-0037
E-Mail:    s.coffman at tradetrans.net
Website:  http://www.tradetrans.net

---