[PLUG] In-terminal application problems solved

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 26 18:13:36 UTC 2004

   Some of you may remember that I posted a query some weeks ago about
strange behavior of 'less' and 'joe'. Specifically, having parts of an
immediately previous file still show up in the 'less' display and having
joe's spell checking overwrite the displayed file rather than be in a
separate window at the bottom. Well, I figured out the problem source:
aterm.

   I like aterms because they're light-weight and can be made transparent
(while darkening the background shade for better contrast with the text),
and a few other features. However, the inability to properly handle the
pager 'less' and 'joe' edit sessions is not acceptable.

   When I revert to using rxvt the problems go away. While rxvt windows
cannot be made transparent, I learned from the man page that I can place the
scroll bar on the right rather than on the left. I like that because I don't
need to reach across the window with the pointy device.

   Thought that I'd pass this on in case you had a burning desire to try
aterms on your boxes.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)