[PLUG] Sniffing networking traffic

Vincent Yau v_yau3 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 27 06:10:03 UTC 2004

Hi:

I have one linux box and a VOIP adaptor.  They are connected to
the same hub, then to a cable modem router and then
to my cable modem.

I want the linux box to be able to capture network traffic
that is directed to the VOIP adator.  I have turned on eth0
to promiscuous mode.  I tried running both
tcpdump and ethereal.  Neither detected anything
beyond what is meant for the Linux box.

It is my understanding that by putting the linux on a hub, and turning
its eth0 to promiscuous, I should be able to detect
all traffic going through on the same hub.
Am I missing a step?

Thanks for any pointer.

--Vincent