[PLUG] Re: KVM switch recommendations?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Thu Sep 2 09:35:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 09:09 -0700, Keith Morse wrote:

> It does doesn't it.  And the cables don't look too expensive either.  Sure
> is tempting.  It would be good to get a copy of the manual before
> purchase.  One complaint I have with low-end kvm's are the keys used to
> soft-switch to another port.

I don't tend to worry about the keys for soft-switching; I've found they
mess up often enough that I just use the hard-switch.  Since this is for
a rack in a server room, it's not going to be used all that much.
Something that's interesting about it is that switching to a particular
port is done directly with a button for each port.  The Belkins I've
used in the past make you cycle through, which can be tedious with 16
ports.  (The OSD with soft-switch helps, sorta.)

And yes, I think the cables are your basic M/M KVM cables, nothing
fancy.

Linkskey certainly has a cheap-looking website; it looks like a Yahoo!
shopping cart: http://www.linkskey.com/kvm/lkv-1680.htm.  Heh, they seem
to have cut & paste the description from their 2-port KVM:

Use one keyboard, one monitor, one mouse to control TWO Computers

(The 8-port has the same thing!)

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc