[PLUG] Replacing hard drive

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Sep 2 18:16:02 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Jeme" == Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> writes:

Jeme> I really don't mean this to be any kind of flamewar instigator,
Jeme> but is there really a reason to use ext3 anymore?  I have one
Jeme> old system with an ext3 filesystem and it still has to fsck
Jeme> pretty regularly (it gets powered down alot and the system
Jeme> forces a fsck every so many mounts) and we've seen plenty of
Jeme> issues on this very list with folks running out of inodes and
Jeme> stuff like that.

The fscking is tunable.  You can turn it off or reduce frequency if
you want.  Right?

Jeme> So why bother with the old system?

Not being an expert, they do have different performance
characteristics.  So in some circumstances, ext3 might be better match
to the circumstances.  Also, Hans Reiser is a bit of a flake which
might make some slightly nervous.  A little diversity might have
better survival characteristics than a filesystem monoculture.

seniorr at aracnet.com