[PLUG] Fedora Core 1 and ppp with modem

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Sun Sep 5 13:30:02 UTC 2004

This is driving me crazy.  The modem works (I can dial, login, and get the
ppp init string) but suddenly I can't get connected. Watching
/var/log/messages I see wvdial stuff, then pppd, but part way through I
get (sometimes) a "No response to PAP authentication request".

I have got it working a couple of times but then no dat awould flow both
ways.  Out bound worked great (tcpdump -i ppp0) but nothing came back.  I
disabled the firewall completely but still no joy.

Is there a good HOWTO for for dealing with the redhat dialout/ppp stuff?

TIA,
Rod