[PLUG] Connection pooling/teaming and ISPs

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Sep 6 04:24:02 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Aaron" == Aaron Ten Clay <aaron at ultravolt.net> writes:

Aaron> I want an intelligent routing solution that will take a
Aaron> browser's requests for objects over HTTP and split them among
Aaron> more than one logical internet connection. I'd really like
Aaron> something that could take all TCP sessions and load balance
Aaron> them over multiple logical internet connections. This process
Aaron> would create a single virtual internet connection for the
Aaron> network which uses NAT, so the end computers don't know they
Aaron> are using multiple connections to retrieve data faster.

See:

  <http://lartc.org/>

Basically what you want (I think) is for your IP masquerading to
round-robin connections or some other load balancing strategy.  That
sounds doable, but I don't know exactly how off the top of my head.
Check out the lartc site referenced above for some ideas.

I've got two connections upstream (a DSL and a Cable).  I "load
balance" using static routes.  Connections to some destinations go one
way, to other destinations they go the other way.  The biggest problem
I had was routing inbound connections to internal machines.  On the
outbound reply, normal destination-based routing often sends them out
the wrong interface (not matching the inbound packets) causing the
connection to fail.  I solved the problem using fwmarks and associated
ip "rules".

seniorr at aracnet.com