[PLUG] Connection pooling/teaming and ISPs

Matt Alexander lug at phxlinux.org
Mon Sep 6 08:25:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Aaron Ten Clay wrote:

> Thanks for the input, however bridging is not what I'm looking for. I want
> an intelligent routing solution that will take a browser's requests for
> objects over HTTP and split them among more than one logical internet
> connection. I'd really like something that could take all TCP sessions and
> load balance them over multiple logical internet connections. This process
> would create a single virtual internet connection for the network which
> uses NAT, so the end computers don't know they are using multiple
> connections to retrieve data faster.

It's not possible to have, for example, two 1Mbs connections and
download a single file at 2Mbs because of the way TCP/IP works.  But
if you have two users downloading a file then one user can be directed
out the first WAN connection and the other user can be directed out
the second WAN connection.  Here's some info on multiple connections
with Linux:

http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

There's also several commercial products that will do this for you:

http://www.xincom.com/
http://www.hawkingtech.com/prodList.php?FamID=44
http://www.symantec.com/smallbiz/gtw/