[PLUG] Request Debian Install Help

Chris Jantzen chris at maybe.net
Mon Sep 6 13:30:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 01:03:30PM -0700, Ron Braithwaite wrote:
> (What was wrong with lilo, dammit?
> I understood lilo and grub seems to be needlessly complex)

Not so needlessly when you make a mistake in your configuration and
you can *correct it at boot time*. (I typically forget to copy my
initrd into the right place, but I just use grub to go find the file
on the right filesystem.)

> So, oh great Debian gurus, what the hell do I need to do to install
> Debian on my laptop?

Probably muck about in the "Ethernet drivers" package and remove the
bit you don't want. I actually *just* (Debian installs last a really
long time, so I don't usually) did an install with debian-installer,
but from floppies. You might also try installing 2.4 and working your
way up to 2.6 afterwards.

--
chris kb7rnl =->