[PLUG] offsetting decomposed GIFs?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Sep 7 14:23:02 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Rasmussen <mikeraz at patch.com> writes:

Michael> A loss of context (what are you trying to do in the grand
Michael> scheme of it all anyway? what's with the conversion to .txt?)
Michael> may make this answer sub-optimal.

What I am trying to do is to create a voxel (voxel being the 3d
generalization of a 2d pixel) model of a human body.  I am starting
with an animated gif, which traverses head-to-toe slices of a frozen
cadaver.  Non-black indicates tissue (it's actually much more colorful
than that, eeew!).  I don't care about discriminating between
different kinds of tissue (bone, muscle, fat, organs, etc).  Stack up
all the slices and you've got your 3d model.

Michael> The identify command would give you offset information if you
Michael> didn't capture it when you did the covert.

Ah, okay I missed "identify".  It seems unnecessarily awkward to have
to reinsert this information that is clearly already embedded in the
file, but that of course ought to work.

GIMP has a command "gimp-layer-resize-to-image-size", which also
works, or would if one figures out the script-fu mess (and I
personally *like* scheme, there is just too much guesswork involved in
figuring out how to interface with GIMP data structures and functions).

Not finding the programmatic method, I loaded all the images in GIMP
and fingered my way through: M-l i C-s C-w.  With all the images in a
stack, it wasn't too bad, as C-w closed the top image and the mouse
pointer selected the next one in line.

I feel so dirty.

seniorr at aracnet.com