[PLUG] DSL performance enigma, it may have been too good to be true...

Darkhorse plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Tue Sep 7 20:53:01 UTC 2004

My ISP said upgrade to 768/256 for $5 less/month.  Well, I don't know
if there's something wrong with my DSL-500 router made by Cisco or
if the phone company is having problems.  I rarely see even 500k
on the http://opuscreative.com speedometer.  I think we got pretty
close to 450k or better when we were 512/256 customers on a fairly
frequent basis.  The average seems to be around 300k according to
opus's speedometer after the upgrade.  I'm wondering if I've gone
too far from the NID only to find that I don't do any better plugged
directly into it.  If I had consistently done better at a range
of three feet from the NID, I was seriously considering running
ethernet and permanently relocating the router in garage cabinets
directly behind it.  I was going to bypass about a hundred feet
or so of wiring.  Maybe there's nothing wrong with my CAT5 phone
lines.

There's a serial line on this baby and you can access it with
hyperterminal.  I'm wondering if there's something simple to
do like change a speed setting or something.  I'd love to
know how to get into this unit using minicom.  Trouble is, I
don't have the programming manual for it when I do get in
there and I don't know how to make a backup.  My router is
called the DSL-500 and appears to be a Cisco product.  It's
considered old, but I'm not verry happy with my ISP telling
me I might want to buy a new router.  Give me the router
in exchange for the one I have for a short while, maybe.
If the new one works and works better, I'll consider
paying a reasonable difference.  Did they purposely
upgrade to a different enough DSL in hopes of selling
their new routers?

Maybe the digital cable that has been run nearly to the
house isn't such a bad idea after all.  Is it comcast
now?  I know the guy said that the network is out of
Warren or something.

    --  Michael Robinson