[PLUG] Dumb question du jour

Alice Corbin ali at axian.com
Fri Sep 10 08:37:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 05:56:31PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Alice Corbin wrote:
>
> >To find out what your screen resolution is, type 'xwininfo'.  The cursor
> >will turn into a crosshair.  Click it on the root window.  (You can also
> >click it on a normal window to find out its geometry, etc.)
>
> Ali,
>
>   Aha! I checked the mozilla window and this is what I get for geometry:
>                             -geometry 934x656+0+0
> No wonder it looks so big! It _is_ big.
>
> >If your resolution is wrong, then you might want to look at the X log file
> >to see what went wrong.  On my (fedora) system that's at
> >/var/log/Xorg.0.log. If you're using xf86 then the name is obviously going
> >to be different.
>
>   I am running Xorg. According to the log,
>
> (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "1280x1024" (width too large for
> virtual size)
>
>   So that appears to be the problem. What can I do about it?

If this problem cropped up in the change from xfree86 to xorg, you might
have to rename/restore/do something to your X config file.  xorg looks for
a file called xorg.conf in many directories (starting with /etc/X11).  If
it can't any it anywhere it will use the /etc/X11/XF86config left over from
xfree86.  So you might be using a new xorg config file without realizing it.
Try copying /etc/X11/XF86config to /etc/X11/xorg.conf (maybe save the
original xorg.conf first) and restart X to see what happens.

Ali