[PLUG] Dumb question du jour

Alice Corbin ali at axian.com
Fri Sep 10 10:01:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 08:46:40AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Alice Corbin wrote:
>
> >If this problem cropped up in the change from xfree86 to xorg, you might
> >have to rename/restore/do something to your X config file.  xorg looks for
> >a file called xorg.conf in many directories (starting with /etc/X11).  If
> >it can't any it anywhere it will use the /etc/X11/XF86config left over
> >from xfree86.  So you might be using a new xorg config file without
> >realizing it. Try copying /etc/X11/XF86config to /etc/X11/xorg.conf (maybe
> >save the original xorg.conf first) and restart X to see what happens.
>
> Ali,
>
>   I took the values for the video card and monitor from the old XF86config.
> There are only xorg.conf files in /etc/X11.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Rich

OK, I'm out of easy answers.  Could you post the Monitor and Screen sections
from your xorg.conf?  And maybe the make and model of your monitor.  Are you
using the same graphics card as before?  Are there any differences in the
old and new Device sections?  You could even attach your Xorg.0.log file
in case someone has time to wade through it.

Ali