[PLUG] Coercing USB devices

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Sep 10 19:36:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 05:11:15PM -0700, Colin Kuskie wrote:
> At work we're going to start using a USB based PIC as a protocol
> translator.  We have a lot of software that talks to a similar translator
> over the serial port, and I was wondering if there was a way to tell Linux
> (RH/Fedora) to map the device as another serial port.  It is Universal
> Serial Port, after all.

Eh, sorta.  A USB device will tell its host what sort of device it is,
and then speak a protocol appropriate for that device.  If the PIC
identifies itself as an RS232 port and acts like one, Linux will map it
to a serial port.  All depends on what HID descriptor and interface code
you download into the PIC.

Check this article for details on a PIC that looks like a USB mouse:
http://www.alanmacek.com/usb/pic16c745.html

Google also spotted a PIC USB microphone.  Dang, now *I* want to play
with the stuff.

A "overcommitted EE stoodnt" B