[PLUG] Another OSS Advantage

Dylan Reinhardt dylanreinhardt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 12:10:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 06:45:29 -0700 (PDT), Rich Shepard
<rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    If you've paid attention to the recent research and news reports about
> senile dementia, particularly Alzheimer's disease you are aware that a
> consistent thread is seen in these reports. Continuing mental challenge and
> use of the brain reduces the likelihood of acquiring this debilitating
> condition. (Those of you with relatives who have Alzheimer's know just how
> debilitating it is.)
>
>    Having a hard drive fail and needing to assemble new hardware into a
> working system with a new (and current) distribution, then restore all prior
> data and mission-critical applications provides that high degree of mental
> challenge and synaptic activity that keeps us in touch with the real world.

I can already smell the counter-FUD:

"Here at Microsoft, we care about your mental health.  That's why we
maintain such byzantine licensing policies... they're an important
part of your daily anti-aging regimen.  The GPL isn't just a cancer,
it'll give you Alzheimer's too!"

:-)

Dylan