[PLUG] OT - hardware hack, bic pen opens kryptonite ulock

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Sep 14 21:22:02 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Rasmussen <mikeraz at patch.com> writes:

Michael> It's a great hardware hack, and bad news for all the bicycle
Michael> people with these common and trusted locks.

Is there a hole there?  I don't remember what brand mine is (I've had
it for nearly 15 years) but it doesn't have a hole.  I guess mine is
safe from the pen trick.  Besides, my bike is an old assembled junk
pile relic, so it's theft-appeal is fairly low.

My cousin the bike mechanic is building me a new wheel to solve my
sprocket problem, converting from 14-30 6-speed to 11-34 7-speed.
It'll be aluminum rimmed too, replacing the steel rims, so my rear
brakes should also improve.  He is a little slow, but he's now spent
money that he won't recover until completion, so I am a little more
encouraged at potential pace.

I've been busy working and up very late most of this summer, which has
meant that I'm exhausted in the day and haven't had the energy to do
the Burley trailer with the boys over to the grandparents house much.
But today, weather nice, me ready, boys excited, I did.  But still,
I've rolled up a heckuva lot fewer miles this summer than last.  Or it
seems like it.  With some fragments missing because I hadn't connected
the cyclocomputer, my year-to-date total is just 323.73 miles.  Hmm,
actually not as bad as I thought compared to 2003 (full-year: 405.08
miles).  I guess I had a relatively big spring.

Gonna be at the Advanced Topics tomorrow?

seniorr at aracnet.com