[PLUG] Recompiling a core library

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 17 08:19:02 UTC 2004

   Some may recall that my copy of 'less' reports a problem finding the
symbol `ospeed` and shows the previous file immediately above the current
one. Based on a hint from a friend, I used ldd to find which libraries are
used by less then I grepped for that symbol in the list of strings within
each library. Turns out that 'ospeed' is in libncurses.so.5.

   I want to recompile libncurses and less from the source provided on disk 4
of the Slackware distribution set. However, I don't know how to compile a
GNU utility. I assume there's no Makefile for an individual tool and I
assume that I need to use the same switches as everything else on the
system.

   What do I read to learn how to recompile ncurses and less?

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>