[PLUG] Ltsp etherboot/pxe question

Tim Smith tskr2 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 19 09:40:03 UTC 2004

Have been working with a sibling recently on a LTSP deployment (Portland
school district), trying to lend a hand where I could in support of his
effort.  I have a small bit of knowledge with Linux and wanted to help
but I have become painfully aware that I need to fine tune my knowledge
on several points; etherboot and PXE.  My questions are:

If  a PC's bios does not contain the option of network booting, can it
still netboot from either an etherboot or PXE enabed nic?

Can either the etherboot or the PXE card have an imaged flashed to it in
the same fashion as updating the bios rev of a PC, I.E. and executible
file that runs from a floppy disk when the PC is set to boot from the
floppy drive.

Thanks for taking the time.

Tim