[PLUG] JetDirect card in LaserJet 5

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Sep 19 13:49:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Aaron Burt wrote:

> I believe there's a plate on the right end of the back of the printer,
> held on with 2 screws.  Power off the printer, undo the screws, and
> take the plate off.

> There should be card guide rails that you can fit the JetDirect card
> into and slide it home.  The last 1/4" will take a bit of force.  Then
> screw in the screws attached onto the back of the card and you're done.

Aaron,

   I was thinking that the extra memory and PostScript module was behind
there, too. Those are in a different place. That's why I wanted to look at a
manual. This is all done.

> Power up the printer, and hit the left Menu key 'til you see the HP
> MIO Menu.  You can do config of the card there, though I think it'll
> do DHCP or BootP by default.

   OK. I have network cfg = yes* and tcp/ip = yes*.

   How do I assign it a network address?

> It'll act as a "socket" printer and an LPR printer, among other things.
>
> In CUPS, it's as simple as "socket://printer_address" or
> "socket://printer_address:9100" or "lpr://printer_address/lp"

   See above. Do I edit /etc/hosts and add an address there for lpr; e.g.,
192.168.55.124	lp0.appl-ecosys.com  lp0

   When the JetDirect 600N for the Professional Series 2500C gets here I'll
need to configure that within CUPS, too.

Many thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>