[PLUG] For those who used WordPerfect

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Sep 19 17:04:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 rsteff.l at comcast.net wrote:

> Thanks, Rich.  Now that I have a machine that has more common hardware,
> and I have a distribution running that seems reliable, stable, and works
> smoothly, I'm going to be able to give it a try. It will be nice if OO can
> do all the things WP does, but I'm not going to hold my breath (reveal
                                                                   ^^^^^^
> codes and print as booklet come to mind).
   ^^^^^     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   No.       Yes.

   No word processor can do what WP did. OO.o's Writer emulates winWord
(gag!) so it's "comfortable" for those considering defenestrating. We're
stuck with what we have.

   However, that's really not limiting. If you want to do serious writing
(articles, reports, books, etc.) use LyX. If you want to do desktop
publishing with a frame-oriented page layout application (sensu Framemaker,
Ventura Publisher) use Scribus. For the rest (letters, memos, invoices and
the like) OO.o does just fine.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>