[PLUG] JetDirect card in LaserJet 5

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 20 13:40:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Karol Kulaga wrote:

> (from the archives)
>> OK. I have network cfg = yes* and tcp/ip = yes*.
>> How do I assign it a network address?
> DHCP = NO

> Then, keep going and you should see something like IP BYTE or IP address
> to either on or the first 3 digits of the ip address (i.e. 192), if you
> keep on going you will enter 168, then keep on going and enter the rest of
> the ip address you want to set the printer to.

Karol,

   I missed the DHCP menu and the rest of 'em the first few times through.
This time I think I got it. I set the IP address and the gateway address but
I don't know what the SM BYTE and LG BYTE represent so I left them as they
were.

   Just tried pinging the printer (after adding its IP address and name to
/etc/hosts) but "destination host unreachable". So, something's still not
correct.

> BTW, the 2500 should have a web interface, although you will still have to
> change your ip address temporarily to 192.0.0.192.

   We'll see in a week or so. The card left Orlando, FL on the 16th. If it's
not under water somewhere it should be on its way out here.

> Good luck. My mail server isn't able to send out anymore (stupid port
> filtering by the ISP), so this isn't being cross posted to plug, you might
> want to cc plug to get other's suggestions.

   Any further trouble-shooting tips? You've taught me well so far. :-)

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>