[PLUG] Trying to compile ntop...

Darkhorse plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Mon Sep 20 18:07:03 UTC 2004

Apparently it works on Redhat 9.  Not wanting to upgrade everything to
Redhat 9 from Redhat 7.x at the moment, has anyone gotten this to
compile on Redhat 7.2 or Redhat 7.3?  It appears that libpcap has
changed or that make bombs because a 2.6 kernel is expected.

I want to use this to figure what kind of traffic is coming in and
going out through my gateways to see if I have a solid firewall, etc.

I'd like to figure out which priviledged tcp and udp ports
McAffee and Panda Antivirus use.

I experimentally attempted a 2.6 upgrade on a Redhat 9 system
and mostly have it working except that I broke rpm.  I get errors
about not being able to open a db3 database.  Gentoo is probably
better for an upgrade like this since it's a source compiled
system.  The problem with upgrading Redhat 9 to 2.6 is that I
don't know which packages and libraries need to be replaced.
because they'll only work with a 2.4 kernel.

Maybe I should see about trying ntop out on WinXP or Win2000 just
to see what it is.