[PLUG] Webcam issue (Fedora issue)

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 12:06:02 UTC 2004

--- Robert Kopp <iconoklastic at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I recently installed Fedora 2 and my initial
> impression of it was sort of positive. I have a
> Quickcam 3000 (Phillips chip), and discovered that
> it
> does not have kernel support with Fedora, although
> Red
> Hat 9 supported it.

The most recent kernel sources apparently do not have
it because of a dispute with the kernel maintainers. I
thought it wise to obtain a Webcam based on a
controller whose support is not in dispute. I came
across the AuraCam DC-31U, which uses the widely-used
and supported STV680 controller.

A Fedora problem which is unique, however, is the lack
of FireWire support. I imagine the Fedora project is
trying to overcome this, for in this respect Fedora's
hardware support is substandard.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/