[PLUG] Serial ATA (SATA)

lbrigman at fcpa.fujitsu.com lbrigman at fcpa.fujitsu.com
Thu Sep 23 09:36:01 UTC 2004

>Not sure if this has been addressed here before and a yea or nay is great
>as I can search the archives later today.
>
>   I'm looking for more information on SATA -- kind of a "SATA for
>Managers" thingy.  As some background I just purchased a SATA card and
two
>drives based on speed claims.  (No, I'm not interested in any lake front
>property :-)  Now I need to determine which SATA options I should
>enable/use particulary as this relates to using the SATA or legacy power
>connections.  My drives came with both.  SATA requires a new PS, legacy
>doesn't.

Are you plugging the drive into a SATA backpanel?  If no, then you
are using legacy power.

http://www.serialattachedscsi.com/aboutscsi/sas/tutorials/SAS_General_overview_public.pdf

This document covers SAS but also details SATA as it relates to SAS.
page 26 shows the above difference.

After page 31 the document get a little deep for most.
----
Larry Brigman
Fujitsu Computer Products of America
503.693.2051 lbrigman at fcpa.fujitsu.com