[PLUG] Wanted to Introduce Myself

Darkhorse plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Thu Sep 23 12:25:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 05:30, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> alan> I have found a number of programs that do not build well on OS X or
> alan> require X.
>
> Here's how I fix that:
>
>   $ fink list | wc -l
>   3952
>   $
>
> There.  3952 "will build on OSX" packages.  I challenge you to name
> something that isn't in there.
>
>   $ which xterm
>   /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
>   $
>
> I seem to have X running just fine.
>
> Maybe you're unaware that:
>
>         1) apple has supported X11 for some time now
>         2) fink and opendarwin have been porting all popular software

One complaint I have about MacOSX and Windows XP too is that these
systems have embedded drivers in them potentially that are specific
to the machine they are installed to.  My brother's sunflower computer
won't run the APC USP signalling software because powerchute
requires MacOSX 10.2 or newer and he only has 10.1.  I've seen bug's
life lock up randomly and when he still had spiderman, it noticeably
had problems too.  It's confusing to me that Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X
10.1 are installed to the system.  My other brother's iBook though
with Mac OS X 10.3 is nice because it has cups and can print
to my pc only HP LaserJet 6P printer.  I'd buy a postfix module
for it, but I've never been able to find one at the right price.