[PLUG] wanted to install rpm package on dsl (debian mod.)

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Sep 24 20:40:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 02:45:17PM -0400, Mark Weiderspon wrote:

> I am new to this, and I was wondering if I might be able to install
> the openoffice rpm file to my machine.  I got the file off of a
> fedora disk, do i also need to get a reader from the disk, or do i
> need to get it elsewhere?

I'm not sure I understand your question.  But if you're running
Debian, you can install Debian's version OpenOffice from the 'net
using apt-get, dselect, synaptic or whatever.
To do it with apt-get, you'd open up a terminal, become root (with the
'su' command) and then install OpenOffice with:
  apt-get install openoffice.org
And then wait a looong time for the package to download from the net.

Or you could apt-get install the 'alien' command and use that to
convert the RPM file to a Debian package.  But that's something folks
do only when the package isn't in Debian already.

Or you could download the OpenOffice tarball from the OO website and
install it that way.  But it's better to use a package for Debian so
your system can keep track of it and upgrade or uninstall it when
necessary.

HTH,
  Aaron