[PLUG] Digital Camera on Linux

Dale F. Victor dalefv at k-com.net
Sat Sep 25 10:52:02 UTC 2004

On Saturday 25 September 2004 10:26 am, Alice Corbin wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 09:22:32AM -0700, Ovid wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a Samsung Digimax 430 digital camera and I want to
> > download the pics from it.  It was no problem on Windows,
> > but my Fedora Core 2 system seems to be having problems.
> >
> > I've hooked it up to the computer using a USB cable and
> > made sure the camera was on.  Running "gphoto2
> > --list-ports" shows a usb port, but "gphoto2
> > --auto-detect" comes up empty-handed -- though to be
> > fair, my camera is not listed as supported.  And yes, the
> > camera was plugged into the USB port and turned on.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Plug it in and turn it on, then run dmesg (or otherwise
> look at the end of /var/log/messages) and see if it says
> anything about usb, or possibly scsi.
>
> Ali
Hello!

I have been using Linux with my digital camera for about 2
years now and have had nothing but problems with the gphoto
way of doing things. I should mention that I have not tried
this for some time and it may work now, but I do not seem to
need it.

I bought a CompactFlash - reader and put the disk into it and
the files show up on /mnt/removable.

I then transfer them to my Pictures directory and use a
program called dcraw to change them from raw format to .ppm.
These can be viewed using konqueror. I then use
convert file.ppm  file.jpg
if I want them in .jpg format and go from there.

ImageMagick and The Gimp are the way to go.

Hope this is helpful.

Dale F. Victor <dalefv at k-com.net>