[PLUG] Digital Camera on Linux

Ian Burrell ian at znark.com
Sat Sep 25 13:44:02 UTC 2004

Ovid wrote:

> I have a Samsung Digimax 430 digital camera and I want to download the pics from it.  It was no
> problem on Windows, but my Fedora Core 2 system seems to be having problems.
>
> I've hooked it up to the computer using a USB cable and made sure the camera was on.  Running
> "gphoto2 --list-ports" shows a usb port, but "gphoto2 --auto-detect" comes up empty-handed --
> though to be fair, my camera is not listed as supported.  And yes, the camera was plugged into the
> USB port and turned on.

How do you access it from Windows?  Digital cameras can either act like
USB disk drives, or have a proprietary protocol.  gphoto talks the
various proprietary protocols.  If yours is a newer camera, then it
probably supports mounting as a disk drive.  My camera works just fine
with FC2 as a disk drive and not with gphoto.

First thinking is to check if the computer sees the camera as a USB
device.  'lsusb' in the usbutils package is useful for this.  Also, look
in /var/log/messages to see if it is being recognized, and if
usb-storage module is loading.

Next, try mounting the filesystem.  Usually, it will show up as
/dev/sda1.  Try "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt".  If this works, you might want
to make a more permanent directory and add it to fstab.

  - Ian

ian at znark.com
http://www.znark.com/