[PLUG] Is Java Still a Good Development Choice?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 28 15:34:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Jason Van Cleve wrote:

> It would probably be an overstatement to say Sun and M$ are in
> "alignment".

Jason,

   Have you seen the reports about their patent sharing and Microsoft
granting Sun immunity from patent infringement lawsuits? From what I've
read, Sun's mouth moves and Microsoft's words come out.

> Anyway, in the unlikely event of Sun deciding to pull the plug on Java
> (and why would they?), the OSS crowd would produce a viable replacement
> within half a year.  Which would probably look as much like Java as .NOT
> does!

   I suspected this would be the case. Thank you for your thoughtful
analysis. I do appreciate it.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>