[PLUG] Kernel compilation (2.6)

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 19:40:02 UTC 2004

Carla Schroder maintained that gcc-2.95.3 is
definitely the version to use when compiling a 2.6
kernel. Few of us are using a release of Linux that
installs this version of gcc by default, so I am
wondering how to proceed (on FC2).

I have compiled gcc-2.95.3 in my home directory (using
gcc-3.3.3-7) but have not installed it system wide.
The kernel sources are also in my home directory, but
elsewhere, of course.

If this version of gcc is installed system-wide, Carla
Schroder states that the way to select it is by the
following command:

gcc -V 2.95.3

This is not the command that one would actually use
for kernel building ("make bzImage") so perhaps it
involves an adjustment in the Makefile?

If gcc-2.95.3 can be invoked without system-wide
installation, I'm content to leave it where it is.
Anyhow, what is the best way to make it the active
version of gcc when compiling the kernel?

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/