[PLUG] Is Java Still a Good Development Choice?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Sep 29 12:12:01 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Jason" == Jason Van Cleve <jason at vancleve.com> writes:

Ovid> [...]  In short, Java is a fairly safe, heavily monitored
Ovid> playground.

Jason> Right, that's part of its power.

And part of the penalty too.  All these things are tradeoffs.  As a
programmer, I agree with Ovid that Java seems too heavy for what I
usually do.  In Lisp, all that instantiation cruft could be hidden
away in a function or macro call.  Ah, the power of abstraction.

Another thing to consider is whether as a programmer you want to
become a pluggable component in someone's software development
machinery.  Standardized programmers means that management can plug-in
and/or throw away programmers as it suits them.  From management's
point of view, that's a good thing.  From a programmer's longterm
point of view, that might _not_ be such a good thing.  I'd rather
develop some niche specialization that is still powerful and
productive, but harder to outsource.

seniorr at aracnet.com