[PLUG] Encrypt a password

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Apr 6 18:39:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 15:54 -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Carlos Konstanski wrote:
>
> > grub-md5-crypt
>
> Problem is it is semi-broken.  Only accepts passwords up to 31 characters.
> Thirty-two and nothing comes back and with more than 32 you get the
> characters after character 32 back.

Is this for a custom application or for an existing one?

openssl can generate Apache format MD5 and passwd format MD5. If you are
defining it, I would go for SHA-256 or SHA-512.

--
"When a student reads in a math book that there are no absolutes,
suddenly every value he's been taught is destroyed. And the next thing