[PLUG] Long range wireless networking...

Steve D... blitters at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 19:35:10 UTC 2005

On Apr 7, 2005 11:31 AM, plug_0 at robinson-west.com
<plug_0 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
> Quoting Michael Rasmussen <mikeraz at patch.com>:

  The solution is not to blast more power into the air.  All that does
is create interference for other people using the "free" spectrum.
(Good neigbors do not turn the knobs to "11".)  The solution is to
take advantage of all the power available within the wi-fi specs.  You
can get all the distance you need with good design and quality
antenna's.  DefCon sponsors a wi-fi shoot-out each year.  The record
is 55 miles over an un-amplified connection.

Wi-Fi Shootout in the Desert
http://wired-vig.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,64440,00.html

  Standard wi-fi antennas are omni-directional.  You'll need
directional antennas to push a long distance and pick up a weak
signal.  Panels, tuned cavities (cans), and yagi's are designed to
radiate most of their energy in a specific direction.  Directional
antennas can also provide additional gain to the receive signal.

This yagi provides 14Dbi of gain on the receive side:
Hi performance 2.4 GHz yagi with weatherproof housing
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/14elewpyagi.php

  The technical term for what you're trying to do is "Wi-Fi Link
Budget Engineering".  There is quite a bit of information available
through google.

Wireless Network Link Analysis
http://www.ecommwireless.com/cgi-local/wireless.main.cgi

 This rather technical site covers the parameters involved in
calculating a link budget.

Radio theory and link planning for Wireless LAN (WLAN)
http://www.swisswireless.org/wlan_calc_en.html

  Intel put out an excellent book on free spectrum wireless
networking, but I don't see it on Powell's or Amazon.  I have the book
at home.  I can send you the ISBN if you want.

Steve D...