[PLUG] Re: script to rename files?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sat Apr 9 16:28:52 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael D Harris <michael.harrisdmd at comcast.net> writes:

Michael> Since I do not have enough experience with scripts in bash,
Michael> can someone give me a script to read file names in, remove
Michael> spaces, and save the file without the spaces.  Preferable
Michael> removing the original file?

perl -e 'for (@ARGV) {$o = $_; tr/ /_/; rename $o, $_ unless -e}' *

Basically, for the filenames listed on the command line,
save the old name as $o, replace spaces with underscores, and
rename the old name to the new name unless the new name exists.